Theyyam, Kambala, Kalaripayattu and Kathakali Photography Tour
Date : 08th Feb to 11th Feb, 2020 (4 days program)
Theyyam is probably being the most colourful, action packed, raw and humanitarian festival of India wrapped in faith, devotion and human emotion altogether. It also probably be the longest running festival in the world that runs in terms of days (more than six months) in a single season. The word THEYYAM literarily means GOD. It is the local festival of Kerala, where natives consider this as the channel to communicate with the god directly and to gain his blessings. Generally certain people from lower castes, like Vannan(washerman), Gulika(Tantrik), Teli etc. got the privilege to perform Theyyam from their ancestors since generations. Devakooth is the only Theyyam where the performance is done by a female, which occurs only once in two years. There are more than 400 different forms of Theyyam, most of those are being performed in Kannur and Kasargad district of Kerala. The festival is performed both in the day and night, night Theyyam being the more enchanting, in the more than thousand temples in this “god’s own state”.
Kalaripayattu or Kalari is the ancient form of Indian Marshal Art, which is still being practiced in Kerala as a traditional form of culture. Many consider this to be mother of all martial arts and to be the oldest of all the martial arts in the world for being it dated back to 3rd Century BCE. All castes are eligible to practice and perform this art.
Kambala is an annual buffalo race held in the southwestern Indian state of Karnataka. Traditionally, it is sponsored by local Tuluva landlords and households in the coastal districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi, a region collectively known as Tulu Nadu. The kambla season generally starts in November and lasts until March. The kambalas are organized through kambala samithis (Kambala Associations), of which there are currently 18. Over 45 races are held annually in coastal Karnataka, including smaller remote villages such as Vandaru and Gulvadi.
Kathakali is a form of dance with roots back to India many centuries ago. It’s a storytelling form of dance made up of actors who use mudras, or hand gestures that convey the dialogue of their individual character, as well as bhava, or using facial expressions to show the internal state of their characters.
TRIP ITINEARY :
Day 1 :
08th Feb 2020 : Will start from Mangalore with the Kambala event. Individuals will be picked up and taken to the field to attend the event Kambala. We will leave for Kannur around 7 pm. and reach their by 12 am approx. If we have energy and Theyyam event that night, will pursue.
09th Feb 2020 : After breakfast we will go for the day Theyyam shoot as per the calendar. Will be back for lunch and then will shoot the Kathakali in the evening. Again in the night will follow the Theyyam shoot as per timing. These shoot may continue throughout the night.
10th Feb 2020 : After breakfast we will go for the day Theyyam shoot as usual. Will be back for lunch and then will shoot the Kalaripayattu in the evening. Again in the night will follow the Theyyam shoot as per timing. These shoot too may continue throughout the night.
Day 4 :
11th Feb 2020 : Will start for Kannur airport in the morning.. Our trip ends here.
#Schedule of the programmes may shift if Kambala date and schedule gets changed.
COST OF THE TOUR : Rs. 18,000/- (Double occupancy) / Rs. 28,000/-(Single occupancy) for Indians and 450$(Double occupancy)/700$(Single occupancy) for Non-Indian(foreigner/NRI) participants.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
If you cancel your registration, then you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the Workshop:
45 days or more: 75% refund
30 days or more: 50% refund
Less than 30 days: 25% refund
Less than 15 days : Non –refundable
Fee Includes :
- Shared double bed room (same gender participants) in a standard clean guest house in Kannur, with western toilet. For separate room extra charge is applicable.
- It will cover your main meals (breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner), starting from 08th Feb 2020 evening tea to 11th Feb, 2020 lunch.
- Mineral water will be provided only during meals
- Tea/Coffee will be provided with breakfast and in evening
- Kannur airport to Mangalore airport Transport
- All local transports related with our tour
- Mentor’s fee for photography tour, on-field photography assistances and image reviews
Fee Doesn’t Includes :
- Train/flight tickets to and from Pune city, India.
- Any additional food items or beverage during meals.
- Any extra mineral water bottle / beverage will be your personal expense.
- Any personal habit or expenses.
- Anything that not in “Included” list.
Our Liabilities & Limitations:
- All itineraries are sample itineraries, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, local political situations, the physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before the tour or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change any schedule in the interest of the trip participants’ safety, comfort & general well being.
- ASP shall not be responsible for any delays & alterations in the programme or expenses incurred – directly or indirectly – due to natural hazards, flight cancellations, train delay, accidents, breakdown of transport, weather, sickness, road blockages, political closures or any troublesome incidents.
- ASP shall not be responsible for any loss, injury or damage to person, property, or otherwise in connection with any accommodation, transportation or other services, resulting – directly or indirectly – from any act of GOD, dangers, fire, accident, breakdown in machinery or equipment, breakdown of transport, wars, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, pilferage, epidemics, medical or custom department regulations, defaults, or any other causes beyond our control.
- ASP do not have any insurance policy covering the expenses for accident, sickness, loss due to theft, or any other reasons. All baggage, camera, other gears & personal property/s at all times are at the client’s risk.
CANARA BANK SAVINGS AC
IFSC : CNRB0000220
REGISTER YOUR PARTICIPATION BY COMPLETING THIS FORM AFTER PAYING THE FEES