Kulasai Dasara(Dussehra) is a cult rural festival celebrated during the famous Dussehra festival time in the 300 years’ old Sri Mutharamman Temple or Kulasai Mutharamman Temple located in the small town Kulasekharapatnam, near Thiruchendur in Thoothukudi District of Tamil Nadu. The festival continues for ten days with the start of Navaratri and finishes on the tenth day, ie on Dussehra in the celebration of killing the demon called Magisasuran.
The mythological epic tells the story of the town dwellers who once approached their Goddess being helpless to the torture of the cruel mighty demon Magisasuran. Then a baby child took birth with the power of the Goddess and was named Lalithambigai. The baby grew up into a full grown adult by a supernatural power just within 9 days, which are considered the days of Navaratri. On the 10th day, she got herself converted into the almighty symbol of power as Annai Parasakthi Lalithambigai with the razing desire of eliminating evil from the earth. And thus she came strongly on Magisasuran and destroyed him as the symbol of the sin of evils on this day which in turn is being started to be celebrated as Dasara(Dussehra) here. This was the insight of the Kulasai Dussehra festival, though the same festival in the name of Dussehra is celebrated all over India in different places in different ways.
Day 1 : 03 Oct : Participants will be picked up from Airport/Railway Station of Tuticorin at around 3 pm and will be heading towards our pre-booked hotel in Tiruchendur.
Day 2 : 04 Oct : In the morning, we will go to the villages near the Sri Mutharamman temple where the performers can be photographed while performing in front of the wealthy people in order to secure some alms to bear the expenditure of the event. Then following them we will reach the temple and keep shooting different activities of rituals till 6pm. Then we will pack up and reach back to our hotel at Tiruchendur.
Day 3 : 05 Oct : We will start early today after having our breakfast so as to reach the temple before the rush hour starts. This day is the most important of all of our Kulasai Dussehra photo tour where we can grab the most valuable shots of the event. On this day you are advised to carry only your camera and most important items like memory cards, extra batteries, water bottle etc. No camera bags or backpacks are allowed in the temple. The events start around 8am in the morning and continued till 2am in the day next. You need to keep your energy intact as the day will be very sultry with temperature reaching nearly 45 degree Celcius. With a gathering of nearly 10-15 lakhs people and no proper restaurant nearby, you have to take care of your own lunch and dinner yourself. In the night, when all the participants reach the vehicle(will be parked at a distance), we will start for Tiruchendur.
Day 4 : 06 Oct : We will make our move from the Tiruchendur hotel towards Tuticorin Airport/Railway Station as per the earliest participant’s requirement. Our Kulasai Dussehra photo tour concludes here.
TOUR COST AND TERMS:
The workshop fee is Rs. 18000/- (US$450 ) for the entire trip, per person.
Advance: 8k While Booking
2nd Pay: 5k By 03 Aug 2022
Final Pay: 5k By 03 Sep 2022
**Pay Entire Amount By 31 Jul to Avail a 10% Early Bird Discount Offer**
Hotel stay in Tiruchendur(03-06 Oct 2022)
Local transport from Tuticorin city to Temple to cover the entire festival and back from 03 Oct to 06 Oct by comfortable vehicle.
All Meals* during Workshop: Starting with evening tea on 03 Oct to end up with breakfast on 06 Oct.(*On 05th, only breakfast will be provided)
Quality & professional photography assistance
All meals apart from the above mentioned.
Anything any individual orders personally.
Expenses for personal habits.
Anything that is not included in the “Includes” list.
FAQ & TOUR INFO
What do I get from this photo-tour?
- A thoroughly guided photographic experience by experts in the field who know the place very well.
- Guidance and information of locations and events before each day’s shoot.
- Guiding all participants about lens requirement, creative composition and camera settings on the field during photo shoot.
- Everyday review of participants’ photographs(subjected to time).
- Assisting in possible editing guidance(subjected to time).
- Guiding participants in finding photographic locations and vantage points for places and events.
Am I eligible for this tour?
Anyone above 18 years (unless accompanied by a parent or guardian) is welcome to join this photo tour. Below 18 years needs to be accompanied by parents or parents’ consent letter.
I am new to photography. Will I join this trip?
Yes of course. This tour is for all photography enthusiastic people. The more you travel and explore, the more your photographic eye will open. Moreover, our team leaders will ensure to give special attention to the beginners.
I am not a serious photographer, just a traveler. Shall I join this trip?
Yes, you too can join this tour as our tours are designed for both serious photographers and casual travelers for the purpose of both learning and entertainment. But you need to pay the amount of the full fee as the seats are limited and you could take place of a full paid serious photographer.
What equipments are required for this Trip?
Well, even the point and shoot camera will work fine. If you have a DSLR camera, any zoom lens and a wide-angle lens will work best. You may also bring a portrait lens like 50mm or 85mm prime(classic 70-200mm f/2.8 can be the best for the purpose). A laptop with post-processing software, an extension charging board, an external hard drive, and extra memory cards will be helpful. For the review session, you must carry a pen drive along with.
What is the difference between ASP workshop Photo Tours and other tours?
We are not offering a package tour for general tourists; it is specifically meant for photography enthusiastic people and designed by experienced professional photographers. You will discover the place and learn a lot about this ancient city, local people and their culture which is an important part of our travel photography. We will try to observe the local people, their daily activities and cultural beliefs and will try to capture those moments using the right compositions and techniques. Our Team Leaders will help our guests to learn camera settings, framing and as well as post-processing. If that’s what your requirement is exactly, then surely join us for this exciting photo tour with ASP. Remember, this is not just only a phototour, it is a phototour wrapped with photography workshop.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
If you cancel your registration, then you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the Workshop:
- 90 days or more: 75% refund
- 60 days or more: 50% refund
- 30 days or more: 25% refund
- Less than 30 days : Non –refundable
OUR LIABILITIES & LIMITATIONS:
- All itineraries are sample itineraries, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, the physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before the tour or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change any schedule in the interest of the trip participants’ safety, comfort & general well being.
- ASP shall not be responsible for any delays & alterations in the programme or expenses incurred – directly or indirectly – due to natural hazards, flight cancellations, accidents, breakdown of transport, weather, sickness, road blockages, political closures or any troublesome incidents.
- ASP shall not be responsible for any loss, injury or damage to person, property, or otherwise in connection with any accommodation, transportation or other services, resulting – directly or indirectly – from any act of GOD, dangers, fire, accident, breakdown in machinery or equipment, breakdown of transport, wars, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, pilferages, epidemics, medical or custom department regulations, defaults, or any other causes beyond our control.
ASP does not have any insurance policy covering the expenses for accident, sickness, loss due to theft, or any other reasons. Visitors are advised to seek such insurance arrangements in their home country. All baggage, camera, gears & personal property/s at all times are at the client’s risk.
*SPECIAL THANKS TO MR. UDAYAN SANKAR PAL FOR HIS WHOLE-HEARTED CONTRIBUTION TO THE EXECUTION OF THIS PHOTO TOUR